8.12.2008

Sissy's Journal

Michael Taylor Gray
"Seymore 'Sissy' Strata"
Journal Entry #1
August 11, 2008
11 days until we open!!

SISSYSTRATA is really starting to gel as a "show" and the ensemble/chorus aspects of the production are really starting to sharpen in focus, purpose and urgency.One of the biggest challenges in performing comedic work that is stylized and larger-than-life at times is to keep it grounded, real and in-the-moment. Making what I do all about my "purpose" and the others around me keeps me focused and moving the action of the play forward.

I love working with Michael Matthews as a director. He's so specific, comprehensive and collaborative in his rehearsal process. This past weekend's rehearsals brought such clarity in character and action for me and for the rest of the cast. The scene work that we did has added layers and depth to the work - surprising me to the point where I walked off the stage after one scene in tears. I was completely caught off guard by how emotionally powerful some moments of the play can be.

There are so many classic theatrical elements incorporated in this adapatation, yet it's still grounded in reality and very accessible to a modern audience.The strength, purpose and drive of my character, "Sissy" is such a joy for me to dig into at every rehearsal. And the marriage of voice, body, mind and spirit in doing a show of this nature quite and intense and comprehensive workout. All senses are on guard and in use at all times. I love it.

Sissy has such strength, drive and conviction and yet, he still melts at the hint of being in love. A willingness to be surprised, a hopefullness in the goodness of others and a belief that it is possible for one voice to rise above and affect the world is all a part of what makes up this glorious character and show.
More to come...

Michael Taylor Gray
www.michaeltaylorgray.com

No comments: